Labels

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A quick Stroll at Bangkok Grand Palace

Harmonised colors. The Thais are great with use of colors.

These are Italian gold mosaic comissioned by the Thai King Rama V.

Even the ceilings are decorated with Ornate motifs.

One of the protectors.

Bees at the Lotus Flowers.

One of the golden lady statues. I noticed each one had slightly different features and expression. High level of craftsmanship.

This had smaller eyes and a longer neck.

Modern Vs Ancient. The phantom of the Grand palace.

The grand palace is one of Bangkok's biggest tourist attaction and the nation's functioning temple too. Getting there is a short trip by Taxi away, or you can take the Chao Phaya River Express and go to Wat Po and Wat Arun together. The problem with this place is that Cab drivers or Tuk Tuk drivers will tell you that the place is closed for the day or what not. Even after I reached near one of the entrance, I have a couple of con men telling me that the place is closed, or that I'm inappropriately dressed to go in. For the first part, it is absolutely untrue. It is open everyday until 5pm. You have to walk until you see the main gate with the sign "we are open everyday" to believe this.  Secondly, even you're not wearing long pants or skirts, there are many rental stalls renting pants or sarongs for like 30 baht. 

The entrance is a rather steep 400 baht which I guess goes towards maintenance of this very grand building. I guess if I am willing to pay 500 baht to eat a bowl of bird's nest which is merely birds saliva, and the birds aren't even paid too, then I should pay to visit this artistic marvel.

No comments:

Post a Comment