Labels

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Sambal Belacan




The Sambal Belacan is the backbone and lifeblood of peranakan food. Eaten together to everything from vegetables to soup, it can be used to cook dishes like sambal prawn and also to form other rempah(spice paste).

What I share here is how my mum sort of prepares it.

Ingredients:
300g red chili
30g chilli padi for kicks
25g belacan (fermented fish paste)
Small Lime




1. Dry toast the belacan at low temperature, turning frequently. Make sure completely dry and crumbly.




2. I am lazy so I blend all chilli in food processor until fine. Add in belacan.

3. During serving time, add in the juice of one or two small lime.

Keep well in jar, refrigerated, but do finish within a few days.



I served this with the Bak wan kepiting ( minced pork soup) soup last night.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment